re·cipe: lazy day soup & biscuits

February 25, 2013



What do you get when you mix a sick hubby, some cold, deary weather, and some serious aches from time with a personal trainer? Some lazy, hungry people.

I don't want to cook, nor do I want to eat crap. Gotta make do with whatever's in the house. I'd been craving veggie soup earlier in the week and spotted a cookbook I'd gotten at a Christmas gift exchange. I flipped through until a picture caught my eye, and well, I changed it so much there's not even sense in crediting the original recipe.

None the less, I had yummy soup and biscuits ready in under 30 min.


Yummy, healthy(ish) comfort food. The nice thing about the soup is you can use whatever the heck you have/like/want. In the spirit of calling this a recipe, here's what I used this time:

Lazy Day Vegetable Soup


You Will Need:
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 bag frozen peas and carrots
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 1 tsp each of the following: sea salt, black pepper, italian seasoning, and onion powder
  • That leftover bowl of rice in the fridge (yep, seriously...that's the beauty of lazy day recipes - leftovers make it easy! Feel free to use whatever you have lying around).
  • 1 bay leaf
Directions:
  • Mix all ingredients except rice in pot and bring to a boil.

  • Stir and add rice.
  • Reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
  • Remove bay leaf and serve. (Top with sprinkled cheese if desired)



Oh, and let's not forget about those biscuits! I love me some carbs, and I love the comments I get every time I make these. I NEVER have leftovers. Count yourselves lucky that I am about to share my secret recipe with you all:


...Yep. That would be a box of Bisquick (or whatever generic brand is on sale). Sad, but true. And easy. Really though, every time I make these, I get one of the following:
  • "I can tell you made these from scratch."
  • "Wow!  Did you make these from scratch?"
Mmmmhmm. I know there's 20 pins out there that would enable me to make my own Bisquick mix...I'll get on that one day since I'm resolving to do more myself and all. But, on lazy days, it's nice to have one less thing for my brain-dead self to think about during my quest to fill our bellies!


Thanks to the following for featuring this post: Coastal CharmThis Gal CooksJam Hands, At Home, Take 2, and Say Not Sweet Anne.  

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the discussion!


Bekah Loves Blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


© Bekah Loves. Design by FCD.