})();

June 10, 2013

super lazy eats: veggie fried rice


I was an uber picky eater when I was a kid. I probably still am, though I hide it better than some (I'm talking to you people who order chicken fingers wherever you go!). At taco bell, I ordered tacos. At any Mexican restaurant, really. End of story. Pizza was cheese only.

In my first post regarding my choice to go vegetarian, I even mentioned that really we were all such picky eaters, we ate the same things at home over and over again, mainly spaghetti. I mean, lasagna? Oh, no! That is a crazy foreign concept.

Occasionally we would branch out and order Chinese. This may shock you, but I ordered the same thing every time. I don't know why my mom even bothered to ask me what I wanted. Chicken fried rice and an egg roll. This went on until I graduated high school and branched out to chicken and broccoli. Go me! Now I just don't bother with Chinese takeout. Wanna know why?

The veg diet is part of it, but more importantly, I tried to make the stuff myself one day. And I succeeded  On the first try! I could not believe how darn easy it was to prepare fried rice. All these years, I'd been getting ripped off! No more. Seriously, this is on the easy level with a grilled cheese sandwich. I keep cooked rice in the fridge and frozen veggies in the freezer so I can throw this together on a lazy night.

Haven't tried? Allow me to help. Stop paying the takeout people crazy money for this. It's likely healthier anyway if you DIY!

Veggie Fried Rice




You Will Need:
  • 1 cup cooked brown rice (seriously, brown is healthier!)
  • 1 cup frozen mixed (or preferred) vegetables
  • 1/4 chopped onion (or some onion powder if you're super lazy like me and don't want to cut that onion!)
  • 1-2 eggs
  • olive oil
  • soy sauce
  • ground black pepper
Directions:
  • Heat skillet on medium and grease with olive oil. (if desired, thaw veggies in microwave while skillet heats)
  • Lightly scramble egg and set aside.
  • Add more olive oil to skillet.
  • Place rice and vegetables into skillet and stir.
  • Stir in onion (or onion powder) and pepper to taste.
  • Stir in soy sauce to taste.
  • Stir in scrambled egg.
The whole process takes minutes, and you have minimal cleanup. Enjoy!
post signature