June 24, 2013

natalie's vegetarian cookbook picks [guest post]

This is the week. I am primarily sleeping and self-medicating in the hopes that I will soon have hearing from both of my ears.

I couldn't bear the thought of having a naked blog for a week, nor could I fathom trying to compose content myself, so I issued a plea for guest bloggers awhile back. I am starting you all off with a Cara Box buddy of mine, Natalie! I will admit I mainly get recipes online or just screw around in the kitchen and hope for the best, but now that she has done the work for me, I may have to investigate some of these cookbooks she's mentioned!

post signature




Hi Everyone!  I am Natalie from At Home with the Hinkleys, and I am so excited to be guest posting today on Bekah's blog!

Ever since I have been reading re•solve, I have thought it was awesome/cool/amazing that Bekah is a vegetarian.  I was a vegetarian for a while when I was younger, and I think it is a really great diet to follow for health, the planet, and obviously animal welfare.  Even though I no longer consider myself to be a vegetarian eater, my husband and I eat meatless a good deal.  It is something that I feel is really beneficial for everyone to do at least some of the time.

That being said, I wanted to share my absolute favorite vegetarian cookbooks.  I don't have the newest releases or anything super specialty like raw foods and whatnot, but these are tried and true (and tested by me) to be great resources for tasty veg meals that involve a little more creativity than cheese pizza. :)

1. My favorite cookbook ever is barely even a cookbook.  It is called Vegan Recipes, edited by Nicola Graimes.  This is more like the size of a workbook, but it has really really great photos and step by step instructions (with pictures) on how to prepare all these dishes.  It makes me want to eat the page, the photography is so enticing.  I have made at least 50% of the recipes in this book and they have yet to disappoint!  Last I checked you can find it used on amazon for $2.
2. My second choice is Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates: Festive Meals for Holidays and Special Occasions.  Moosewood is a famous restaurant in Ithica, NY, and they specialize in really great vegetarian cooking.  They have a whole bunch of cookbooks, but this is the only one I actually own.  I think I am a sucker for recipes divided by seasons, which this one does.  It also has recipes that are good for ANY holiday you can think of.  Day of the Dead? check.  Hanukkah? check.  Ramadan? check.  It is probably the most cross-continental cookbook I own.  Def. love it!
3.  I had to include Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook.  This textbook of a cookbook could be the Vegan bible.  I could just read this book like a novel too, it has so many good cooking tips and explanations of different dishes and ingredients.  I remember when I first went veg, lots of things were overwhelming and/or things I'd never heard of.  This book help clears a lot of those mysteries up without having to google 25 different things for one recipe.  

4. Serving Up the Harvest: Celebrating the Goodness of Fresh Vegetables: 175 Simple Recipes.  This isn't a vegetarian cookbook per se, but it is a wonderful resource for cooking fresh vegetables.  Before this book came into my life, my way of cooking all vegetables was to either steam them or cover them in cheese.  This book has over 100 ways to prepare all those beautiful fresh veggies - which is great for anyone, vegetarian or not.  It is also divided seasonally, so it make it easy to group together dishes that would be easy to make with seasonal/local produce.
5.  I wouldn't be me unless I picked a dessert cookbook!   Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule - by the same lovelies behind Veganomicon.  You guys, I have had many a cupcake in my day, and these are seriously top notch.  I would take one of these over a fancy bakery cupcake in a heart beat, they are that good.  This book is for anyone who wants a delicious cruelty free cupcake that tastes better than anything you've ever tasted.  Do yourself a favor and make the S'mores cupcakes.  You will be able to die happy, lol.


Thanks for reading my picks of the best vegetarian cookbooks.  I hope you have been inspired to at least add a few meatless meals to your week! :)




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the guest posting opportunity :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I hope you are doing better, I know that I have been worried about you! I am looking forward to when you are able to blog again. Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! I always welcome your thoughts and feedback.

You May Also Enjoy These Posts: